Friday, July 06, 2007

Mary Flower and Avon(?)

Before Mary Flower, who always amazes with her fingerpicking and singing did a workshop on blues styles, she chatted with Terry Currier, owner of Music Millennium and one of the truly great people in Portland's music scene.


 


And then it was on the blues. She did a medley of Mississippi John Hurt tunes which, as she pointed out, actually fit more in the "Piedmont Blues" catagory, although MJ wasn't from the Piedmont area. They just didn't have a Piedmont Blues designation when the ole smiler was around.

 


Del Ray with Steve James prettied up the A&E stage. Turns out Steve was old friends with Portland artist Ron Rogers (see above) when they played music together in Austin. Steve is also friends with Fred Stern, the Rainbow Maker.

 


This is the most puzzling booth at the festival. Avon. Yeah, Avon. I walked by it and heard Techno coming out of the booth. Not that I have anything against Techno, but at a blues festival? As you can see, folks weren't beating down the doors to get in.

 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

BluesSlave said...

I run the backstage area at the Miller Stage and I don't get many breaks, but on this day I was trying to get to the other extreme end of the festival site to see someone. As I passed the Workshop Stage I heard this incredible fingerpicking. Someone was playing Piedmont style guitar and playing hard, so I stopped. It was my friend Mary Flower. I never did get to where I was headed!