Saturday, July 07, 2007

David Vest---my Festival highlight

Boogie woogie grand master David Vest played the most outstanding set of the Festival Friday afternoon. These pics are from his workshop.

 


Sorry, my camera crapped out just before David took the stage. However....he was behind a big grand piano and played with Peter Dammann, David Kahl and Jeff Minnick of the Paul deLay band. Vest was in Paul's last band for nearly three years. Paul loved David's soul and amazing technique. Also playing on the Miller Stage with David was the Texas Horns (who have been everywhere during the festival).

David played tunes from his own albums and from Last of the Best, the recent and only release by Paul's last band. I've seen David many times and I can truly say I have never seen him play a better set of music than this one. He was in great voice, never missed a step on the piano and played blues, boogie-woogie and rock n' roll with a soulful vengance.

The crowd was up and dancing immediately and never stopped.

He finished with a tune on both The Last of the Best and his current album "Serve Me Right To Shuffle," called "Try Not To Kill Me When You Say Bye-Bye." It has become a rock n roll classic. Paul used to close the set with it, and David left the crowd screaming for more by the time it was over. And yes, he did kick back the piano bench and went wild at the end.
One line in the song got a huge response from the crowd, "Don't ask me where my country went/B.B. King is MY president!!"


 



 


Let's hope David starts playing around here a whole lot more!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

BluesSlave said...

David's set was simply amazing and created a buzz throughout the park. David's playing and spirit just blow me away. As good as he is on those keys, he is also an amazing human being. Former Rhodes Scholar, I enjoy his writings ALMOST as much as his piano playing. He also has a huge warm heart. When he learned that I was trying to quit smoking he told me when I needed support I was to call him literally day or night.