Tuesday, January 31, 2006

another thought about getting trashed

I feel sorry for that schmuck who did the hatchet job on me in the Baltimore City Paper. I'm sure he's going to write something mean in reply to my answer to the piece in their next edition. I know he will probably get the last word, but what a pathetic way to get your paycheck.
I stopped writing bad reviews a long long time ago. I learned that being mean is the easiest way to get noticed. I hurt a lot of people's feelings and I feel bad about that,although I didn't at the time. But, you know, I didn't go after them personally. If I didn't like their music, I didn't attack their character.
And I didn't make up things, or make mistakes about them.
So, I'm sorry I wrote those bad reivews (well, not about Carly Simon), but about the local musicians in Baltimore who's music I didn't like. I still don't like their music, but I learned to say, "If you like (whatever) you'll like this person." I may not have liked (whatever), but people are entitled to like crap.
I haven't written a bad review in decades. It's too easy.
Perhaps that schmuck at the City Paper will learn that, too one day.
You know, except for the period of time when Andy Markowitz ran that paper, it has been a piece of shit from day one. Russ Smith, who founded it (and it was laughingly called "City Squeeze"--one of the dumbest names EVER for a newpaper), and got rich when he sold it, has always run shitty newspapers. He is a no talent snob who poisoned the already foul air of Baltimore.
Oh wait, was that a bad review? Sorry.

No comments: