Sunday, November 02, 2008

Last Week's Music Blog

My editor at LivePDX.com has been laid off. I am not sure what the future of the site will be. They did not run my blog from last week, so I'm putting it up here.

We'll see what the future holds.


While discovering I don't need meditation to empty my mind of thought, It is a natural occurrence. So how come I feel stupid instead of enlightened?

So like, I know I had some news, but I just can't think of what it was. Or where I've been. I just deleted a sentence. It embarrassed me.

From the I've-never-heard-of-them-but-a-friend-says-they're-good department:

The Trio will be at on Thursday 10/30. According to my friend, they are, "Winners of the Manifest Award (Swedish Grammy) for Jazz Album of the Year (2007) – beating out the last release from the late, estimable Esbjörn Svensson (E.S.T) - and fresh from headlining this year’s Stockholm Jazz Festival"

I never heard of them either, but as Bill Royston told me at the news conference when he announced that the Jazz Festival would return…well I don't remember his exact words, but he said that most of the really forward-looking music is coming out of Europe. That's something to think about, especially since we don't get to hear too much of it, hardly any.

Berghe is a pianist, in case you were wondering. I'm wondering.

that unique series produced by and which has been selling out at for the past few months is moving over to the on Nov. 6. Appearing will be "Still Pending." Oh wait, that was the name of their last show. will be there.

Worth going to see.

As I wrote during the past summer in the O, "The microphone isn’t all that gets passed at the every-second-Tuesday “PasstheMic!” shows at Mississippi Pizza. Knowledge of what it takes to have a career in music is transmitted from pros to those just breaking in. That there’s a night of good music to hear is sometimes beside the point."

Not very often you get to steal from yourself. I used to be able to write before I emptied my mind of thoughts. Maybe I better go look in the recycling and see if my wife threw them out.

I would never use the phrase, "back in the day." And I might slap the next person who says to me, but back in the good old days, i.e. Before Bush, when Pepe Rafael was bursting on the scene with and he started throwing very huge and very naughty events, usually at the and mostly on Haloween.

Therefore, the 8th Annual (which is what he's calling it these days) will again be on Halloween and again at the Crystal. You can't get in without a costume, although since I'm going to dress as a washed-up hack writer, I'll have some explaining to do. Pepe is giving away 5K as part of "Portland's Biggest Costume Contest." I'm assuming it isn't for having the biggest costume, tho.

PP and the BB will play of course, also and

I miss running into Pepe. Maybe I don't get out as much. Last Saturday, at 3 a.m., I was in an all night bingo parlor in Beaverton. Just to watch, mind you. No sign of Pepe.

One of my favorite images is of shooting Pepe in 2000 before that year's ball. He was frantically searching his wardrobe for just the right gown. He found it, of course.

Looking for a parade? How about an altar building? How about both? Someday Lounge's Second Annual Day of the Dead Procession & Altar Building Party will be held on Saturday, Nov 1 from 3-6 p.m. Mixing myth, superstition and art:

We'll start with a 3pm sugar skull decorating session. We'll provide home- made sugar skulls and frosting to decorate. Participants are encouraged to bring additional decorating material.
We'll use these sugar skulls, and any other mementos brought by participants, to create community altars in the space. A true community art installation rooted in ancient cultural traditions.
As we create our altars, participants are encouraged to wear festive attire, and solicit the services of our house face painter. At 4:30, we'll meet in the North Park blocks to commence our procession through the Pearl and Oldtown. Banners waving, our party will be led by a marching band fit to rouse the dead. Then back to Someday Lounge for hot chocolate and movies.


Sounds like fun unless somebody wants me to pray to a skull made out of sugar, although consumable gods sound kindof attractive. Beats having to do all that kneeling.

Tis is Ursula from is putting together an evening of Gypsy, Balkan and jazz on Wednesday November 5 at
<3 Leg Torso,> a Balkan Gypsy band from Italy and featuring special guests from Fishtank Ensemble and Slavic Soul Party.

Crap, my mind's all cluttered again. Hope it doesn't last.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mm... cognitively post..

Anonymous said...

по моему мнению: отлично.. а82ч